12/31/08

Taking your 10-year old self to lunch and other Year-end reflections

I've always tought that end of year was the perfect time to reflect on your life... To think about your goals, hopes, apirations and such. Looking through some of my stuff, I came accross a magazine editorial I clipped some 11 years ago (scary how time flies by!). The title of this Glamour editorial was 17 questions that couls change your life. This new year, don't resolve.Reflect. Some of these questions are an amazing way to ask yourself questiosn that matter... and that could help you bring focus into your life in 2009. Here are some of my favorites.
  • If I had to wear my philosophy of life as a motto on a T-shirt, what would it be? Of course, no one can be summed up in an epigrammatic sentence or two. But, just for fun, why not try?
  • Is there anything unfinished in my life that I am willing to walk away from forever? If I haven't thus far learned French, gotten a dog, started my own business, maybe it's time for new dreams. Hit delete. See what happens.
  • If I could take a six-month sabbatical from my current job, what would I do?Travel around the world? Perform good deeds? Put my bottom in a chair and my head in a book? If I don't know the answer, how can I begin to figure out what my dream is?
  • Am I living my life for an audience? Have I internalized a watchful someone: Mom, my best friend, an ex-boyfriend? Is my audience worthy of judging me? How can I banish them forever and live for myself?
  • Do I see success as a lavish banquet or a scarce commodity? When a good friend triumphs, do I feel depleted m- as if there is a limited amount of goodies to go around? Is it possible to tranform envy into this-mens-I-csan-do-it-to-signal?

And my favorite

  • If I were to take my ten-year-old self to lunch, what would she think of me? Do I still have her passions, her opinions, her willfulness? Do I still know waht she knows?

No comments: